Thursday, May 13, 2010

25 Things About Me Cont'd, #12 -19

(Random pic from my oldest sister's wedding day, December 2007.)

Okay, I am determined to finish my list here; it will just take me a while since I only have desire to post on my lunch breaks (funny how that works).

12) At the time of writing #3, I really didn't have any cavities...until last week. It finally happened: I have 2 fillings I have to get done next week. It is such a bummer after having a perfect track record! And I have no idea what to expect except unpleasantness. Ick.

13) I love nature. I've always loved looking at the landscape on car trips and contemplating life, etc. I love how it feels to be among God's creations which are so beautiful. My mom has a major green thumb and created the most wonderful gardens at home in WA. I want to have my own garden someday. I often have this longing deep down to find a "thinking spot" in nature for myself. I have not found one yet, but maybe I will be able to create it someday. And although I pretty much love all flowers, I find daffodils very cute and charming. They make me smile. (Below are pictures from my parent's home--except for the daffodil.)





14) I wanted a pen-pal from another place really bad when I was younger (grade school and on). Every time I tried to get one through the schools it never worked out. I loved to write in general, and wanted to know what another's life in a different part of the world was like in comparison to my own.

15) I think about lots of things at a given time, but I have very linear thinking when it comes to tasks and eating. I like to work on one task at a time before moving onto the next. But I am getting better at moving on to another task even though the first one may not be completed. I also have this weird habit sometimes of eating one food at a time on my plate until it's gone. This isn't always the case, but it happens often enough that I notice. I think it's because I'm enjoying the flavor of that one particular food at that time and I don't want to ruin the effect by dipping into another before it's over. :P I believe my mom is also this way.

16) I jumped off a highway (?) bridge during the summer of my freshman year in college--everybody was doing it. ;) I jumped it twice and was freaked both times. During the second jump I recieved a skinned knee from not clearing the bridge wall and even did a butt flop on the water below that gave me a splash-shaped bruise. It wasn't one of my brighter moments.

17) I ran a half-marathon in Utah last summer with a friend, 13.1 miles. It was hard training for me and even though I'm dealing with a knee that isn't completely normal yet, I'm really glad I did it at least once. The adrenaline rush was awesome during the last half mile. :) I like to run and hope I can do it more in the future (though no more races).

18) I love people. You might not think so with how shy I can be at times, but I really find everyone interesting. I love learning about people's lives and what they have been through that has shaped them into who they are today. I feel so good when people open up their life experiences and struggles to me; I like understanding them better. I've had great conversations with total strangers in a hospital, on airplanes, in the airport, etc. I find that I am in awe of so many that have been through hard times and are still so happy. I learn so much from other's experiences.

19) My favorite color of all time is purple. It is soo pretty. My current work office has little bits of purple throughout it. I had a purple-themed bedroom in Colorado along with a purple purse. I used to have lots of purple clothes. I also used to have a purple-covered couch that my now-husband said looked like a Barney couch (I'm sitting on it in a pic from my last post). So the cover was banished to the closet... Someday my purple fettish will prevail and find expression...somewhere.


Looks like that's all there's time for today!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was not the one who originally called it a Barney couch! But it totally looks like one. And as far as the banishing goes, we got a new couch. That slip cover doesn't work with a recliner. So not my fault. But at least our furniture somewhat matches ;)

Kristine said...

I had a few different pen pals when I was younger. For awhile I had this idea it would be so romantic to marry a French guy. So, I got a French pen pal... but he wasn't very cute, so I dropped the fantasy... True story.

Karen said...

Whatever, Niklas---you always brought up the title "Barney couch" when talking to people. Just own it. ;)

Kristine, that really gave me a chuckle. :P I remember you and Diane (I think) both having pen pals. Not sure why I never was able to get one when you guys could, but oh well--life went on. :)

Kathy M. said...

My parents would laugh at your comment about eating one thing at a time. I still tend to do that but was more anal about it when I was little. Got heat over it while eating dinner at a friend's house (I was gradeschool age). Her mother "corrected" me at the table during dinner... very uncomfortable. Unlike our table... theirs was pretty quiet except for the parents talking to one another.

I'm glad I didn't know about the bridge jumping. Your oral surgeon fractured something doing a similar stunt... his jaw? He confessed to that during one of our visits and told me if I ever met his mother, I was not to tell her. (He was serious!) He was hospitalized and miserable and didn't tell them during the whole thing. I felt bad for him not having some support while he healed. :-/ I guess he survived. ;-)

Enjoyed reading your blog... are you saving these entries in a journal?

Love, Mom

Karen said...

I don't always eat my meals like that; it just varies. I guess it depends on how much I'm enjoying something. :P That would be way uncomfortable being "corrected" by a parent that's not your own...

I didn't realize that about that oral surgeon--kind of funny considering what he went into for a career. :)

I don't know really how to save all of my emails and these blog posts besides copying and pasting into a word document. not sure what to do about that.