Tuesday, April 27, 2010

25 Things About Me...To Be Cont'd!

My boss came in a few minutes ago and said he had a gift for me:






Yes, it's a pile of pistachio shells. Whoo-hoo. For all I know he could have been slobbering all over them before plopping them on my workpapers. My boss is one generous man.

Anyway, that's not what I am focusing on for this post. A few of my family members did a "25 Things About Me" list a long time ago, and I want to do one also. Of course, all 25 things won't be in one post since I only have 30 min. left of lunch break. (Yes, I should be doing homework but what's wrong with a little distraction?)

1) I absolutely love chocolate. This a "duh" one for most, but hey, for those who don't know, now you do. I don't know when this crazy craving entered my life, but ever since I remember it's been my #1 weakness in the food department. (Hey, it comes from a bean--it's food.) I'm one of those who will eat chocolate cake and cookies for breakfast and/or dinner if they are around. I just can't get enough.

2) I still blush really easily, and half the time I don't even know why. I thought this trait would go away by the time I was this age, but no, it's apparently around for life. It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't happen ALL THE TIME at work. I blush even more when I realize I'm blushing for no reason, which only compounds my embarrassment. I can blush at simply a co-worker talking to me about work-related stuff. I blame my inward shyness that has never gone away. Some say it's cute; I find it mortifying.



(Notice the blushing cheeks, even at 3 years old!)

3) I have bad eye sight (thus the contacts), but I've never had a cavity in my life. I never had any wisdom teeth come in either--maybe that's a bad thing. :P

4) I have lots of insecurities that mostly evolve around self-consciousness and body image. I'll give you a self-expanatory picture:



Yes, I'm the one with window-panes on my face, as Niklas likes to call them. I remember not being self-conscious when I was really little, but like every other kid, I was made fun of at school, and never had a ton of friends because I was so shy. I'm still working on these self-image issues, but it bothers me that the past still affects me so much.

5) I got into a fender-bender when I was in high school. My then-boyfriend was making fun of my driving, jerking forward each time I put my foot on the brake (although I wasn't braking hard at all). We were sitting in a crawling line waiting for our turn to get onto the Bangor military base in WA. I decided to show him what it felt like when I really did brake hard. So I did---except that I hit the wrong pedal. I smashed into the car in front of us, which happily consisted of parents and their two little children. I felt HORRIBLE, and was bawling while the parents both yelled at me in anger. The protective bubble I always felt around any car quickly burst.

6) I have a reactive personality, which means that I get teased. A lot. This is usually okay, since I realize it's all in good fun, but somedays I'm really not in the mood and just want a break from it all. You would too!

7) I love music and to sing. I hated opera and classical music as a kid and now I love it all! I also like the Beatles and other oldies, plus different selections of modern music. I wish I could play the piano, but cannot; and I wish that I had the guts to take voice lessons. Regardless, I was always singing around the house as a child up until I left home for college (in which time my mom told me she missed it). Years ago, when I was in Young Women's at church, I had to have my mom share a story about me. The one she chose was a day that she had been sick in bed when I was in grade school. After getting home from school, I came into her room and told her that I had learned a new song that I wanted to sing for her (which I did). Although I don't remember doing this or what song it was, it really touched my mom.

That's all I have time for today!

5 comments:

ashley said...

gotta love Bill and his generosity....it's actually pretty gross. And you have NO need to be self concious about your image...you are beautiful and we all love you!

Karen said...

Ha ha, it's so true about Bill. :P Thanks for your sweet comment, Ashley!!

Darcie said...

Yay!!!! I need to harass you about blogging more often! Now we can learn the 25 fun things you want to share! I think the family pictures are great and I agree with Ashley that you are beautiful! And that is with and without the glasses lady!

I think you should share something equally generous with Bill like a slimy old banana peel! Got to return the love!

Kathy Miller said...

That evening when you came in and sang to me, it was after a Christmas program they did at the school. I wasn't able to go because I was in bed with a fever. You came in and wanted to tell me about the concert. I was kind of frustrated at first because I felt terrible and not in the mood to talk to anyone but when you started singing one of the songs from your part of the program (Kindergarten or first grade), it brought tears to my eyes. Such a sweet, pure little voice. And... it just touched me in general. I don't even think the lights were on in the room at the time, so it was pretty dark.

Kathy Miller said...

P.S. - I'm pretty sure that was at Christmas time... the little program you kids put on was Christmas music you'd learned.