Monday, November 3, 2008

Come What May, and Love It

I just read this talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin while I ate my lunch, and it has such great counsel in it. There are a lot of points that I know I can improve on, but the one that especially hit me was learning to laugh. That one is hard for me, I've found out, when something happens to my detriment. For example...

One day I'm in a serious, not-so-fun mood and trying to make myself some stir-fry for dinner. Into the kitchen walks Niklas, who had been doing something or other in the living room---can't really remember because this happened a few months ago when I was still jobless. I think Niklas, being the kind soul that he is, wanted to help me out with what I was doing. On the counter was the famous hot Chili Garlic Sauce that you can get in the Asian portion of any grocery store, and for all I know I could have asked him to open it, as it was brand new and had that foil covering under the lid.
Niklas decided that the best way to break that foil covering was with, no, not a knife---but his forefinger. I looked over just as he was jabbing his finger into the foil covering and next thing I knew there was chili sauce flying everywhere, especially onto me. We'll just say I didn't laugh at that little incident...

But events like these are why I know I need to work on being able to laugh when things unfortunate come to pass, especially if I can laugh at others when something bad happens to them! (I don't laugh if it's something that actually hurts someone. Well, usually not...something about Niklas having a fire extinguisher land on his toe and then falling to the floor in a heap of laughter set me off just a little. :P He was laughing first!)

Anyway, the moral of this post is, Elder Wirthlin's mother said that when adversity, afflictions, or just plain trial-filled times come your way, "Come what may, and love it."

3 comments:

Kathy M. said...

That hot sauce was lethal stuff... good you didn't get it in your eye. ;-)

I love that picture of Niklas you put up on the right hand column (although I'm not sure if he qualifies as "little" ... kidding!). ;-)

When you get a chance... could you beam over a full version and I'll pull it into iPhoto. I checked to see if there was a larger one if you click on the thumbnail, but I don't think it works that way on the sidebars... mine doesn't do it there either.

My happy thought for the morning is that the elections are almost OVER! Yay!!! No more election hyberbole and postering, no more harrassing "get out and vote for blah, blah" phone calls... life is good. A nice thought shared in the meeting yesterday was that regardless of who wins the presidential election... God is still over all. We'll be okay. :-)

Kathy M. said...

Oops... I meant "posturing" ... but I guess "postering" works too. :-)

I keep thinking of Bobby today when I look at the calendar... he's turning 26, wherever he is.

Hope you're having a nice Monday. See you later! :-)

Kristine said...

Yeah, I could use a little bit of this as well. If that hot sauce incident had happened in our home, I would've freaked and probably said something horrible, like, "Why are you such an idiot, couldn't you use a knife like a normal person?" Yes, I am that mean. Right know I'm trying to be better enough not to say the things that come to mind. I hope that one day they just won't even be a thought and I can laugh at the situation...