Friday, March 26, 2010

America, America...


I was just reading my sister's live journal comments regarding the healthcare bill that had been passed...and while I'm not crazy about politics (although I like hearing people's opinions--kind of paradoxal), it's always sad to me how mean people choose to be to each other when sharing differing political views. What's the point in getting nasty if someone doesn't agree with you?

I happen to be married to my, almost, complete opposite. As you can imagine, there are LOTS of things that we don't agree on. And I do get heated about certain things---just ask Niklas. ;) But I've been learning that that doesn't mean I have to likewise take on a nasty tone or attitude with him just because he sees things differently. (And vice versa--we are both still learning this. :P) Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean that others have to agree with you. So in short, all I'm saying is that show courtesy to others despite how they feel on a given subject. Hostility and poking fun at others has become acceptable behavior in the world and I don't see it doing anything good for anyone.

To add to that, I'm finding that I'm having a hard time in general feeling proud of our society, which has skewed priorities and morality as time has gone on. Sometimes it seems that the silliest things are fought and debated over, causing media-drama when in reality its not a life-or-death issue. I think we've lost the vision that the founding fathers had of what America was to be. Government itself is not the enemy, as many citizens have had a hand in shaping it to the way it is now. Among other things, I see America suffering from selfishness, levity, and greed. And all of us, me included, have these struggles to a degree. But I guess instead of me and others complaining about all the woes, we should instead focus on doing our part to make it a better place for everybody, and focus on the good. (Easier said than done, I realize, but it would make such a difference.) So despite my frustrations and its faults, I am glad that I live in America.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Amen!

Kathy Miller said...

I have to agree... but I think a lot of the good values of this country are still out there. They just don't get the media attention. It seems very skewed anymore... television in general is enough to give you an upset stomach. :-P What happened to good wholesome family fare? It's impossible to come by anymore... just real human interest.

Oh, well... the challenge is to be that thing you think is missing and hope enough people get on board with positivity. :-)

Mom